Imagine the pressure of carrying on your family business. Or better yet, imagine being the 4th generation to work on the family farm, which one day, will be yours. That’s the challenge and course taken by our guest today, Derek Thom from D & D Thom Farms in Michigan. Derek will cover the history of his family farm as well as what they grow including wheat, soybeans, cattle, and much more.
Listen to the episode on the apps below:
Don’t forget to check out D&D Thom Farms at the link below:
- Derek’s Background –
- D&D Thom Farms – soybean, wheat, corn, sugar beets, hay, 120 cows, beef steers,
- Pressures of a 4th generation
- Michigan Agriculture
- Crops production methods (organic or conventional)
- Difference between cash crops and cover crops
- Beef side of the farm, what type of cattle, daily care, etc.
- Thoughts on the farmer/consumer relationships
- What are some misconceptions you think consumers have of farmers.
- Organic vs Conventional
- Thoughts on farmer/consumer relationship
Call to Action:
Want to stay up to date on the show, consider following our newsletter. As a thank you for signing up, you’ll receive a FREE guide on 5 simple steps you can do to support farmers. Sign Up HERE!