The internet loves lists, right? I mean that’s how BuzzFeed made millions. I got an inkling this morning to sit down and make a “32 Lessons at 32” list since today is my birthday. I claim none of the following as my own ideas, just nuggets of wisdom I’ve heard from people wiser than I, stolen from the internet, or pieced together over the past three decades. Feel free to take any of the advice below and adapt it as your own.
1. Call your parents.
2. Whatever you do and wherever you go, leave it better than you found it.
3. If you’re a guy, read How to be a Gentleman at some point.
4. No matter what happens in life, keep your sense of humor.
5. Work in silence. Let success be your noise.
6. Travel. Even if you’re scared or reluctant, get out there and see the world and its people.
7. God’s not going to use you as a pawn.
8. You’ll never know if you don’t try.
9. Success is not a linear path. It’s filled with ups and downs.
10. Be humble.
11. A beer/cocktail with a friend is good for the soul.
12. Call your grandparents and visit them as much as you can.
14. Find a go-to taco shop.
15. Find a hobby and stick to it.
Get a dog. ALWAYS have a dog.
17. Doubt causes chaos and one’s own demise.
18. Don’t worry about what might be. Focus on what is.
19. Start a garden.
20. Buy a record player.
21. Never be the smartest person in the room.
22. Don’t believe everything you see on the internet.
23. When you travel, take a cooking class from locals. It’ll be one of the best things you’ll do.
24. Drink the first, sip the second, skip the third.
25. Men, when you shake another man’s hand, stand up and look him in the eyes.
26. Have two things always at the ready: A good joke and a good toast.
27. Watch Star Wars (except for the sequels).
28. Surround yourself with good friends. And as you get older and busier, try your hardest to see them. As we get older and get more responsibilities, it’s harder to grow those relationships. But countless scientific studies show that having good friends is literally good for our health.
29. Face your anxieties head-on. Ignoring it will only make things worse.
30. Do or do not. There is no try. (Amazing advice from the master Yoda and another great reason to watch Star Wars).
31. Pray. Pray a lot.
32. Blood, sweat, and tears will get you there. But joy will take you further.
Hope you enjoyed these and found some wisdom. What are some lessons you’ve learned? Or even some quotes that you can’t forget? Let me know in the comments.
Leave a Reply